History and Beginings
The club gradually developed into an organizational host for Horseshows, producing the first state-sanctioned Horseshow at the fairgrounds. In 1959, through the efforts of Elton A. “Bubb” Tobiasson and Malcom Hammil a portion of the old Idaho-Maryland Mine was obtained and the current facilities developed. The clubhouse, bleachers and arena were erected by members and dedicated in 1965.
Through the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s the big annual events were the three day labor day trail ride and July 4th barbecue and Rodeo. many of our lifelong residents grew up with NCHI as a center for rodeo, cowboys, dancing and social activities – all family oriented. For many years the club has been affiliated with the California State Horsemen’s Association.
Today NCHI is supporting four generations riding a variety of events held at the arena. Activities such as NBHA & American West 4-D barrel Racing, Team Penning, Team Roping, Gymkhana, and Horseshows are held several nights a week, as well as clinics and trail rides. Riders of all ages, abilities, and disciplines are welcomed and encouraged at NCHI.